I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. I prefer salty snacks that dehydrate me and make my fingers swollen. Healthy, I know. Where the line between sweet and salty preferences blurs for me is when I make these brownies. And top them with Ben & Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns ice cream. Please note, that if you haven’t tried that ice cream yet, GO TO THE STORE RIGHT NOW AND GET SOME. Boy oh boy, you are in for a treat. I don’t think you even understand.
Talking about ice cream just reminded me of my Grandpa Ivan. He loved ice cream more than anything. One time when my brother and I were little, we went to visit him and my grandma in Phoenix. We were sitting in front of the TV eating ice cream with him and noticed that he kept scraping his bowl with his spoon. Over and over. Scrape, scrape, scrape. For like 10 minutes! Finally, my brother and I looked at each other in annoyance, and my brother said, “Grandpa, do you want more ice cream?” Grandpa said, “I thought you’d never ask.” He was freakin’ waiting for us to ask if he wanted more so he wouldn’t have to get up. He was hilarious. Oh, Grandpa Ivan.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, divided
4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and chocolate in small saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool.*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with butter or shortening then lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- Place remaining butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl of electric stand mixer. Turn to low and mix for 30 seconds (or use hand mixer) to incorporate ingredients. Turn to medium-low, add eggs one at a time, beating 15 seconds after each. Stop and scrape the bowl.
- Add cooled chocolate mixture to the mixer bowl, and stir on low for 30 seconds. Add flour, salt and walnuts or pecans. Turn on low and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into greased, floured pan and bake for 35-45 minutes until knife or toothpick when inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Serve with ice cream on top!
*Tip: To hurry this process, fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set warm saucepan bottom in it. Stir the melted butter and chocolate to speed up the cooling process.